Friday, March 5, 2010

reborns

okay, so if you have yet to introduced to the world of reborns, just google it. Basically, it is the art of creating baby dolls that look and feel as much like real newborns as possible. i have been drawn to these, but with ebay auctions in the hundreds (up to 900!) i simply don't have that kind of cash for a doll (who does??). anyhow. i have this old vinyl doll from my childhood who had seen better days and needed a new body anyhow. i thought, well what the heck, lets experiment! so i bought supplies (cause i do apparently have money to spend on any art project )(from my fund labeled "therapy! lol), and set to work. this baby i gave to Lucca, who has since never left her alone. she even sleeps with her. i think this is very healing for her.






then after learning alot from my mistakes with that one, i bought a vinyl kit and set to work on this one.



7 comments:

That Freebie Place said...

I must say, I've seen reborns elsewhere, and they always look odd and creepy. You've managed to create the very first ones that actually made me go "Aww, wow!" instead of "Uh, yikes"

I love seeing your art.

Liz said...

thank you!

Jeanette said...

I do find reborns weirdly facinating. I have sometimes looked at them since Florence died because the last time we saw Florence in the funeral home, that is exactly what she looked like, a doll, a sleeping perfect doll.
It's interesting to see you working like this.

Maggie said...

They are beautiful! Love them!

Inanna said...

Lovely! I knew it would be :)

Corinne said...

Beautiful

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you're able to find an expression and connection through this. Sending love.