Saturday, September 18, 2010

the birth of Willow Grace

As i previously posted, i was hospitalized Labor day weekend with a fever of unknown origin.My OB did a whole slew of tests, but nothing came up and i started getting better so i was allowed to go home. Ruled -unknown virus... Then all week after coming home i continued to feel completely run down and on Mon the 13th i spiked a fever again. I called my OB the next morning when the fever hadn't gone and she got me right in for an appointment. After looking me over she determined best course of action was to admit me to the hospital again so they could do even more tests.
I went strait over and got tested in a bazillion ways. Finally at about 7pm my perinatologist came in and did a scan and talked to me about doing an amniocentesis. she was worried about a occult Chorio infection. OUCH - amnios hurt!!!!
The results from the amnio did not come back till about 10 am the next morning. By this time i had had several more test run , including an MRI. My doctor came and talked to me and said the amnio was showing signs of an infection in between the wall of the uterus and the amniotic sac. it was only a matter of time before bacteria invaded the sac and the only cure for Chorio is delivery, so we started Pictocin at about 11 am.
I was feeling totally emotionally raw and still physically sick, so i made a plan to get an epidural when my labor was strong- especially because i could not move well since i had an IV on a pump, a blood pressure cuff, a pulse ox, and the contraction and heart rate monitors.
Willow was very hard to keep on the monitor and the toko (contraction monitor ) was almost never reading my contraction. This made it impossible to even bounce on the birth ball, so i labored for the 13 hours in the bed on my back.
When my water broke there was lots of blood, which had everyone worried- but my Doctor's partner (by then my doc was off shift ) said we could wait it out since Willows heart rate had continued to be perfect in every way. She offered that if i wanted a Csection she would give me one, but she did not mind waiting. She did recommend me getting an epidural in case there was any problem so we could cut quickly. That was fine with me , since i already wanted one!
the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural - again with the OUCH - those things HURT to get! Well, it worked for about an hour and a half. then half my uterus was feeling the contractions perfectly. He came in the readjust, but that didn't fix it. The only thing else he could do was re-do it and i was not up for that because it hurt the first time and contractions were so often i did not think i could hold still. Within several contractions the epidural was completely gone and i was having to moan quite loudly. This was about 11 pm.
About 11:30-11:40 ish the nurse checked me and said she thought i was an 8. So i said that we should head over to the OR - we were delivering in the OR because it has the stabilization room for the preemies connected to it. She argued with me that it would take a while to get to complete.blah blah blah. i told her is i were to get off my bed and walk to the bathroom i could squat and deliver the baby. So, we went to the OR ! LOL .

my good friend Emily

We got in there and the Doc wanted to check me. She said , "oh no, she's only 5-6!" and left the room. I said "hell no this baby is coming out. I had three contractions in a row with no stop .At the end the nurse said to stop bearing down or i was going to swell my cervix. I said "it's funny, they always say that, and i still always do it and it never does". Then i grabbed the rail of the bed on my right side and pulled my self onto my side and up higher on the bed and with the next contraction she was coming down. I said "she's coming out now" The nurse said that she couldn't be and she wanted to check me. I said "no. i am pooping. her head is coming out now."She stuck her hand inside me as the head was coming down and said " stop pushing!" i screamed "get your hand out of my vagina!" and pushed her out-onto the still-not-broken-down-bed. Everyone was fumbling around like chickens with there heads cut off (NICU staff ect). The nurse only had one glove on, so she didn't want to pick Willow up, so my friend (who happens to be an LnD nurse in another city) Hand her to me. Willow was screaming bloody murder and pink and beautiful. Everyone must have been completely floored because they tried cutting the cord and sprayed blood all over my fave, hair and gown. Then the doctor walked in.


apparently , when a multipara says her baby is coming out , her baby is coming out, cause the Doctor had only left the OR about 3, or 4 minutes before!
And i have still not had a doctor deliver a baby, LOL, even though i wanted one to! And even though i wanted to have a nice pain-free delivery- i had another natural birth- and frankly was pretty pissed about it during the labor!

I was laughing within minutes of the birth because of how funny it was was :)



16 comments:

Rochelle said...

She's absolutely beautiful! Sending many healing vibes your way for a speedy recovery.

These kids' mama said...

She looks great! This is another great reminder to the world that A:moms know their bodies and B: these babies come in with their own agenda....:) congrats and i pray for both your speedy recoveries!

MammaT said...

Congratulations. Much health, peace, happiness, love, joy, growth. And happy birthday little one!!!

LoveNeverFails said...

Liz, she is so beautiful!!! Congratulations. I'm so sorry that you didn't get a calm, drama free birth, but Willow is beautiful and you did wonderfully.

My prayers are with you through NICU, and I hope you are both going home soon! Are they treating you with any IV antibiotics or anything like that for the chorio?

Liz said...

P3- yes I had iv antibiotics. I actually am going to post another post today or tomorrow all about the chorio ect. :)

KoryO said...

Hello...heard that your little girl was born over at Dr Amy's. She's beautiful. Congratulations to you and your family, and all the best!

Cynthia said...

congrats, you awesome mama - you! powerful... the Lord had a plan and thank heaven you took control, knowing what was best for your baby at the time of her arrival... you inspire me time and again to listen to my own God-given instincts. Funny yes, how quickly plans can change - nice reminder to stay in the moment! lots of love for you Liz!

Fireflyforever said...

CONGRATULATIONS. Wishing Willow a short NICU stay and a quick journey home to mama.

Sahmmie said...

She just precious! I am so happy for you! I will be praying for little Willow that her NICU stay is short and uneventful and that she will be home with you soon.

Rightthinker said...

Praise God for the safe arrival of Willow Grace! I hope you recover well, and are able to bring your sweetheart home to you soon...

God Bless you MUCH mama!

Jeanette said...

Oh Liz, she is just beautiful, I hope she's well enough to come home very soon.
Your birth stroy had me laughing, especially the bit about multipara's knowing when their babies are coming...I know that feeling!
Sending you all love and healing. x

Katie said...

She's beautiful! I'm impressed with how well she seems to be doing considering how early she is! Prayers for you all.

stace-c said...

Liz, she is adorable. Congratulations. I hope that you and she are doing well, and regaining your strength. Also, I am thinking of you today, as I know it is a hard anniversary for you.

Julia Fortier said...

I am so happy for you, the baby and the family. Willow Grace, Aquila and all the children are such blessings.

Maggie said...

She's beautiful!!!! Congratulations! So very happy for you and your family! XO

Hannah said...

Congratulations! She is lovely, and WHAT a birth story! Still praying for her and for you!