Tuesday, September 21, 2010

how the CPMs (lay midwives) made fools of themselves yesterday


first off i am sorry if you are a CPM and not a fool- there are plenty out there. But unfortunately for you you profession is riddled with childish, flaky and down right idiotic behavior.

yesterday was another midwifery review board meeting. For a refresher- the midwifery complaint review board is the only overseeing entity here in Texas for CPMs. CNMs are regulated under the nursing board, which i imagine is nothing like the board to which i am referring.
Months ago i submitted a complaint to the Texas midwifery complaint board- lets call them TMCB for the rest of the post. Since lay midwives don't carry malpractice insurance this was my only recourse against Faith Beltz, the lay midwife who's mistakes allowed the death of my daughter. June 21st my case was heard. i wrote a little about it here. At the time i did not want to elaborate on what happened because i was hoping to be able to argue for them to do more, and frankly, i was in shock due the unprofessional behavior i witnessed.
Last time it took 4 grueling hours of rehashing my story to three midwives, and three other board members. Two of the midwives have sat on another board to which Faith holds three positions.
here are the TMCB members
here are the members for the ATM, association of Texas midwives.
ATM sells the curriculum for CPMs to graduate.
of the three midwives two of them were
Sylyna Kennedy (the chair of the TMCB)
she is an A.T.M. Member: Associate, Lifetime
she used to be on the ATM board
she wrote the curriculum that ATM uses to train new midwives- Faith trained under this curriculum (the worse Faith looks, the worse Sylyna looks, since she wrote the curriculum Faith was trained with)
and
Janet Dirmeyer
she was an ATM board member for about ten years
she is an ATM member associate and and ATM preceptor

So now, tell me how these midwives can judge Faith unbiasedly seeing as Faith hold's three positions on the board they are so tied to?
They can't.
The last meeting had Sylyna winking at, and smiling at Faith. She even went as far as to say very early in the hearing "we all know you are a good midwife Faith". I am sorry, but that was the topic up for review, so NO we did not all know she was a good midwife. And, by the end of the last board meeting it was VERY clear she was not a "good" midwife. She was a midwife who made TONS of mistakes, not just one.
One of the guys on the TMCB hearing my case (i am told he is/was a lawyer) named Andrew MacLaurin told Faith if this had been a court case she would have been "torn up and down"
During the meeting there was about 20 or so midwives and supporters of Faith there. they were eating loudly, talking during the whole thing and one even brought in a toddler who was screeching during the meeting. HOW professional.
The crowd went as far as to BOO when the board gave Faith a 500$ fine for never giving me info about the board and HIPPa info to sign during the pregnancy.
For killing my baby she received probated suspension. She is allowed to practice, but not alone and she has to turn in her records and protocols to the board for review.
Well she chose to not sign the NOV (notice of violation), meaning she wanted to come back and argue her "punishment". Hence the second meeting yesterday.
I was not able to go, due to me being in the hospital here with Willow. But, Gabe, Amy and Bethany went in my place. All three were at the birth.
What happened in the case before mine was a midwife lost her license for not turning in birth certificates. YES, you read that right. a midwife lost her license for not turning in birth certificates, but Faith kept her license even after being responsible for an infant death.
Then came my case. Faith wanted to argue all 4 counts (my friend was sitting behind her when she was saying this). She got up there and started on the first one and the board didn't have any of that. they stuck to their original ruling.
YAY
not good enough, but better than nothing!
Then the case after mine? Another abruption. this time the baby lived but is brain damaged. the midwife only received probated suspension also. And these poor parents have no recourse to pay for the lifetime care of a severely disabled child due to the midwife not carrying malpractice insurance. NICE
So, on to some of the ways midwives make fools of themselves.
One midwife ran out after my friend Amy to tell her to ask "whoever is writing that blog that is bashign midwives and Faith Beltz to just stop" .
my friend said..uhhh , lots of people write blogs and i have no control over what anyone writes! Plus why on earth is she so worried about my little blog?
Another midwife stood up during the proceedings to shout about how Amy was lying about Faith having her stuff packed up when Aquila was born. She said "how come there are pictures of her with a bulb syringe?" (referring to my blog of course)
here, let me answer that for you sweety!
Faith did have all her equipment packed in the trunk. When Aquila was born Faith had nothing but her mouth to suck the blood from aquilas mouth/nose. She then tossed her keys to my photographer and told her to get the blue bag from her trunk. Then Katie Jo (photographer) brought the bag, Faith started using the syringe, then the Dilee. Only after giving her the bag was KJ able to snap the one picture i have of aquila from the birth (the bulb syringe one)



and finally an open letter to Faith Beltz C.P.M. -

Seriously Faith, seriously? You wanted to argue all these counts? You seriously think you deserve nothing for what you did? And on top of everything to LIE repeatedly , saying i refused a transfer? You are completely full of it. you should be ashamed to be adding insult to injury. Don't tell me you "think about Aquila every day" . I live an aching, bleeding memory to my daughter every day. If you had made different choices, she would be snuggled at my breast right now, but instead she buried in the ground. How can you live with yourself and argue the slap on the hand you received? it is truly deplorable.

26 comments:

Birthblessed said...

Actually, the MW whose case appeared before us lost her right to EVER practice midwifery again, AND had been given a $10,000 fine. For not turning in two birth certificates for cult member parents who probably didn't want birth certificates turned in, although that is speculation based on what I know of that cult.

The MW review board reduced her fine to $2000, $1000 per violation, because of her inability to pay and the fact that she agreed to NEVER practice midwifery again.

Yeah. Got to watch those birth certificates and make sure to NEVER FLAUNT THE RULES. Syryna and Janet, especially Janet, kept repeating that it was of utmost necessity to respect the law and they had to uphold her as an example to all the other midwives who might be tempted to not turn in a birth certificate form on time.

Ahem.

I really do personally still believe in a woman's right to choose her birth attendants, even if that means she makes an informed choice not to have a doctor or CNM.

But if someone is going to be hired as a MW, she needs to perform the duties of a MW to an agreed standard. And if she can't meet that standard, then in order for the public and her own safety, she needs to be not practicing MW. I want her to feel safe that she KNOWS she followed protocol. I want her to feel safe that she KNOWS she has liability insurance. I want her to feel safe that she KNOWS her babies will have good outcomes.

And if she can't feel safe about all that, she needs to find a different job.

Julie said...

Liz, I am so glad that at least the Board didn't change the original ruling. It is unbelievable that if a baby DIES because of a midwife's inactions or actions, the midwife just gets a minor fine, but PAPERWORK errors result in full suspension! What sort of crazy bureaucracy is this?? I am glad that at least for now, Faith cannot practice alone. I hope no more babies die because of her. Big hugs to you for sticking with this--I know Aquila is proud of you!

LoveNeverFails said...

Liz, if someone wanted to write complaint letters to stand with you, how would we do that? This is absolutely ridiculous, and if there is something we can do to support you, I want to do it.

Unknown said...

appalling, absolutely appalling. can you not pursue this in the civil court system?

has anyone mentioned your daughter's death on review sights like google or city search? based on every other action she has taken, i seriously doubt she is mentioning your daughter's death to her new and unknowing clients. i know I would want to know!

i'm truly shocked at this situation.

if i were a midwife and a baby had died at my *incompetent* hands, i would CHOOSE to never practice again. seriously, this woman is clearly completely devoid of any integrity.

i had no idea there was such little recourse with a CPM. i almost used one for the birth of my son, and i had no idea. how terrifying! it seems like such a set up shouldn't be legal.

just awful.

on another note. willow is so, so beautiful. i'm glad you were in good, competent, diligent hands this time around.

hugs

Anonymous said...

I am sick for your loss. And I praise the courage needed for you to stand up and relive the horror of it all. I would like to help you, and I don't mean bring a pot of soup. There are some facts you don't see clearly, and if corrected, will benefit any future action you may choose to take. This is clear negligence. Can you leave a number for me to call. You or Gabe?
I am a friend.

Kristen said...

I am also amazed at the lack of oversight of CPMs in Texas. I practice as a health care professional in the state of Texas (I am licensed by the state board of medical examiners) and have no doubt that I would disciplined with far more than a fine if my negligence caused the death of an infant. I carry the largest malpractice insurance policy available. Even though I am a careful, diligent practitioner I want to make sure that if I ever make a mistake there will be compensation available to the victim. I do this because I take my status as a professional seriously, even though I know it could make me the target of a frivolous suit at some point in my career.

I am so sorry for your loss and commend you for the courage required to continue to speak out.

Abigail W. said...

Outrageous, what these people can get away with. Horrifying. I am glad they at least stood by their pathetically inadequate ruling.

Also? Way to be professional during the hearing.

It never ceases to amaze me.

Thinking of you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog while linking around the Internet. Like the other readers and like you, I am shocked, outraged and appalled by what happened to Aquila and your family. Please accept my deepest sympathies.
Have you considered taking your story public in a big way in order to force changes in the system and to receive justice for your case? Perhaps there is a TV news station near you with investigative reporters, or maybe your local Fox News affiliate would be interested.
This idea may not suit you, but I was thinking it might focus public and legal attention on your story, and may lead to improvements overall. Perhaps it would save other mothers from going through what you and your family went through.

The Non-Monogamist said...

Liz, this totally fucking pisses me off. There is no recourse for killing our babies and it infuriates me.

Anonymous said...

It angers me that this is what happened. My hubby said he would have shot her. So sad and wrong for her to basically get off scot free!!! But she won't escape her consequences forever. I'm sure eventually she will get what's coming to her.

But your little Willow is truly a blessing. Congratulations!!!

Anne said...

I want to commend you for standing up against these self-righteous nuts. Also, I was ashamed when I saw that the person who delivered one of my children was on the BOARD ? What ?

Anne said...

Oh- wait - yes, I remember why this does not suprise me now.

Liz said...

thanks Anne- :)
feel free to email me privately if you want to tell me more
kirynspiscesmama at gmail dot com

liz

Petrichor said...

I found your story on youtube first, and I am so, so sorry you had to deal with all of this. For a long time, I have wanted to be a midwife, to help bring life into the world. That's not a passing ambition, though it sound like one coming from a teenage girl. I've researched almost every aspect of birth...even causes of fetal death. But I have never read something quite so personal.

Now, knowing what can happen, I don't think I can trust myself to pursue what has been my ambition for three years. If I caused something like this, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. But I don't think I could stand to attend births in a hospital setting either. Not with the way women are treated in most hospitals.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this midwife and her friends are a disgrace to the medical profession, and she has instilled in me a fear to engage in this kind of corruption. It's back to journalism for me.

Liz said...

naima-
you have made me cry. i dont know what to say. i am touched..thank you for telling me how much my story affected you.
peace and love to you!

Linda Rosa said...

Please post your story here:

http://hurtbyhomebirth.blogspot.com/

Pammie63 said...

I am so sorry for your loss - it must be the worst feeling to lose a child - I can't imagine. BUT, you seem to forget that GOD has ultimate control and he chose to give your baby eternal life in Heaven with him. Nothing Faith could have, should have, or would have done can change that.

I know you won't approve this post because you only choose to blame and I suppose I can understand that because of your loss, but I hope that within your own heart, you think clearly enough for long enough to know that, as much as you and your family suffered, GOD took your baby for much better reasons, Faith did not cause your baby's death.

Areawoman said...

How DARE you claim to know the will of God, Pammie! Who made you his spokeswoman? Just because a woman chose to advertise herself as a "midwife" with crap training (CPMs are a JOKE) and kills an innocent infant with her incompetence doesn't mean it was somehow approved by God. If I choose to drink and drive and kill someone in the process, does that mean I didn't really kill them? According you your idiot logic it does.

The Non-Monogamist said...

Oh please, spare your God comment! This shitty use-to-be midwife took Aquila's life. Thanks to assholes like you, people turn their backs on your God and tune psychotic christians, like yourself, out. Thank you for hurting people under the guise of christianity. Bet your God loves that one, huh?? God chose to take all these people and the murderers are all innocent. Nice!

Yvonne said...

Pammie63....jeesus I dont even know where to start with your comment... what an easy way out.... do you tell the same thing to people who loved ones were killed by drunk drivers... or kids who were killed by pedophiles.... it's all good and dandy since god is the one making the choices.....why do we even bother to have a justice system hum...?

Yvonne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. TC said...

Pammie63 How dare you say such a thing? God does not endorse the deaths of babies.

Aleah said...

Pammie - "Nothing Faith could have, should have, or would have done can change that."

Actually, there were several things Faith could have done. She could have recognized that the large clots Liz was passing were not bloody show, but one of the cardinal signs of abruption. She could have recognized that non-stop contractions, with no room to breathe, move, or speak in between, are another cardinal sign of abruption. She could have accurately assessed that Aquila's heart tones of >180 were a sign of a baby in distress. She could have called an ambulance IMMEDIATELY the first time Liz begged to go to the hospital. She could have fucking called for backup instead of packing up her things before Aquila had even been born .

But she didn't. She didn't know what she was doing. She did not know the signs and symptoms of one of the more serious complications of birth.

And she did not own up to what she did. To this day she refuses to acknowledge what she took from the Paparella family. She makes excuses, and she lies... and the scariest thing is that she still has no idea what she doesn't know when it comes to delivering babies.

What she did was watch things spiral out of her control, take steps to cover her own ass instead of doing what she could to save that baby, falsify birth notes, and publicly lie about what occurred. What she did was kill a baby through her incompetence.

moto_librarian said...

Pammie63, you are a monster. How dare you come over here and suggest that there was "nothing" that Faith could have done to change this outcome. Aleah has already eloquently summarized everything that could have been done differently to save Aquila's life, so I will not repeat it again. You should be ashamed of yourself.

LovleAnjel said...

Pammie63,

Do you *really* know what God wants or plans? Is there no room for human incompetence, free will, or the devil? Your god sounds cruel and quixotic. I'm sure He's really happy to have all the blame placed on Him.

This tragedy absolutely could have been avoided. Pretending that it's God's will may make you and Faith feel better, but that doesn't change facts.

Anonymous said...

Pammie, you sure got your comment published, didn't you? Oh, you of little faith. And yet you declare to know the will of God. That is an extremely strong statement, with little of anything constructive to offer. I wonder what the point was at all? I really would like you to share what was on your heart with that. God has the ultimate hand in life and death, true. That does not mean that He "wills" everything that happens, and even scripture tell us that a great many things, including matters of life and death, occur far outside of His will. So how can two seemingly opposite facts be truth? How can God both have control over the life of Aquila, and yet allow her death to occur, which was (to all who understand what happened and/or understand scriptures) outside of His will? I will quickly say, that the most honest answer is that scripture tells us that it is not, nor has it ever been, God's will for anyone to die. And it is not God's will for people to take leadership positions (such as midwifery) who are underprepared and or perform disasterously. It is not God's will for people to care more for their own professional reputation than the sorrow of others. It is not God's will for cries for help to go unanswered. It is not God's will for harm to be done to others without repentance. It is not God's will for the broken hearted to cry out in pain and have their grief criticized or dictated. It is not God's will for one to respond to a hurting mother in an accusatory or blaming or assuming fashion. I believe what you meant to say is that it could have used all of these things...the things He already saw, things occuring today, even prior to Aquila's birth, and that He would orchestrate the "cause-and-effect" of a negligent midwife and the course of this birth, and death, for His ultimate glory. That God has a PLAN for things, even things that occur OUTSIDE of His will. In this, and this alone, can a grieving mother truly find healing, peace, even forgiveness, for any guilt that she may feel she have, but certainly for the guilt that is rightfully carried over Faith. In nothing else can she find true everlasting comfort - and in nothing else can Faith truly find understanding of the situation,and find true repentance. I would love to explain further, but would like to know more about you, so that I can speak your language. Are you a believer?