Sunday, May 29, 2011

right where i am project : one year, 5 months

Angie , over at still life created this project. For grieving mothers to talk about where they are in their grief now. Because grief does not ' go away'. people like to say it "gets better over time". maybe it does with the loss of a grandma or a dog. But the loss of a baby does not go away. it does change though.
i am certainly in a different place now than last year, or even last month. My grief ebbs and flows it changes daily.

angie said
"I have read about this happening to other people. I remember from my early days reading about it with people years out. When their real life peeps into their online diary, and then have things held against them. They went private or password protected or went anonymous with a new blog name. I don't know how to deal with it, because I never thought I would care or not be able to just ask someone if they were reading my blog. I don't want to ask now and draw attention to my blog, and on the other hand, it feels like a violation if someone is reading about my emotions on a day to day basis. And that is just it. In the beginning, I didn't care if people read because I knew that grief was trumping everything. Now that people expect me to be normal again, I can't quite figure out why I ever thought telling anyone about my blog was like a good idea. And yet, I have come to rely on this space. So, that is the awkward grief place I am at now. I don't mind if people in my day to day life comment, or let me know they are reading, it is the awkward place of me not knowing what everyone knows. If they read here, they know way more about me and my weird hiccups in life than I know about theirs. It feel unsafe sometimes. It makes it sound like I dwell in grief, but this is the place I process that part of my life. And it is so important, I can't give it up. Blogging is strange, because the temporary feelings become permanent, and little dalliances with the annoying take on the gravitas of epic angers. Nothing is ever permanent with emotions. Nothing, except people can pull up a specific blog post and say, "But you feel like this.""

and what she said there is so how i feel (i bolded the points that really hit the nail on the head). Grief is such hard, dirty work. there are several people in my life (many who are actually family) who have taken what i write on here and stabbed me with it later...or taken my words and silently judged me..or gossiped about me with other people in the family. what i have to say to those people is ' shame on you.' it is so blatantly obvious that you have never been through anything resembling what my family has been through. If you had you would never take my words here and twist them or use them as weapons.

Why is it our society at large says the only way to acceptably grieve is quietly, alone, or with your therapist? Other than that, any negative emotions must equate to mental instability. Well, i have news for you---- this is dirty , real work i am doing.it is not pretty. i refuse to pretend to be pretty to appease your discomfort. What happened to Aquila was wrong. i have every right to be sad..to be mad... to be indignant at the whole mess. i was robbed. i was cheated. i am mad. i am STILL MAD.

But that in no way means i don't love my kids, or my husband.,,that we don't laugh or play.. that life does not go on.

So where am i right now?

i am coping. i cope by keeping busy. when a still moment comes i feel myself suffocated with self-pity. so i keep those moments as rare as possible. i focus on others instead of me. We have two extra (very time consuming children) here in the house. i find that keeps my sorrow put away. I just have less time to wallow..to picture the little dark haired impish girl running through the house. Even typing this opens the floodgates. so, that is why i still blog...even after all the crap thrown at me for it...i blog to be near her. this is the little compartment she fits in.

please: if you do know me in real life, and you read this- say something. just hello, i read at least...

17 comments:

Jeanette said...

You do have every right to be sad and to be mad.
I have sadly had some people take what I have written on my blog to be the whole, usually people who haven't taken the time to be with me, and think a look in on my blog tells all...it doesn't, it's just a tiny snippet, sometimes good, sometimes bad, but never the whole.
love to you, and wishing that little impish girl was running under your feet. x

Myotts said...

Hi Liz... It's Em Myott. I don't know you in real life, but I feel I know you from facebook and from this blog. <3 Hugs to you and yours. Hold those sweeties tight. I have no words of wisdom or comfort, as you are far wiser than I am and have been through hurdles I can't imagine, far greater than anything I've ever gone through. But I read, watch, listen, and care. hugs hugs hugs.

LovleAnjel said...

It's sad that you are expected to "get over" something like this. How could you? If Aquila was murdered, people would not expect it be "gotten over" so quickly, especially if there had been no justice. How is this loss any less tragic?

(((HUGS)))

terri c said...

I don't know you in real life, just from your blog. But I do know loss, and I send warm wishes. What you are doing IS real, hard, and dirty work, and it takes as long as it takes, and OF COURSE it is not the whole of your life.

still life angie said...

The part of blogging that gets complicated. What you touched on in the end. That this is the space where we process the grief and anger and loss, the outside world,w e stay busy, we smile, we appreciate, we feel gratitude. I know I pocket that grief sometimes, just for practicality's sake, just to exist in the world, and then write about and process the difficulty on my blog, but it is the illusion, if you use the blog as an angie measure, that I am wallowing. Honestly, I have lost most of my friends from the before time. Most of them read my blog, and I'm not sure if they said, "We don't really like this angry, bitter person" or if was more of a "This is too much emotion for me to handle." But whatever it was, they aren't here. I am grateful for that now, I think, because that was my worst nine months to 18 months. When the grief bored even me, but it was undeniable. I couldn't escape it. Anyway, sorry to go on and on, obviously, you struck a chord with me. Sending love as always. xo

Liz said...

ANGIE- for what it is worth you inspire me.i wish we could sit and have coffee some day.

Tracey said...

Liz, your grief helped me get over my grief over a miscarriage in ways that nothing else did. I hope no one seriously expects you to get over Aquila's death; she was your child.

Marisol said...

I am honored to know you and your family in "real life." I feel guilty that I don't think about Aquila more often, but from time to time, when I see her name on a sign, or when God puts her on my heart, I say a prayer for you all. Thank you for "keeping it real." And know that I will never tire of listening to your thoughts, feelings. Love you.

These kids' mama said...

Hi Liz, I hear ya. Someone asked me at a speaking event I was doing "How do you deal with it?"..."Day by day"...."But it gets better with time, right?"......"No, wine gets better with time, loss only gets softer around the edges"....They just looked at me and said nothing else. I do feel a guilt in looking in at your life but it is a guilty pleasure... to see the beautiful WIllow and the amazing work you do with children, your own and others is inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

stace-c said...

Hi Liz, I'm still reading. I don't "know" you--we've only connected through our virtual communities. But I just wanted to say that I'm always impressed and amazed at how wonderfully you are balancing your life. Yes, your grief and anger is evident here on this blog, but so is your joy and your giving, loving heart. You're an amazing woman.

Disheveled Mom said...

Hey Liz, its Amanda. I read your blog, and I am gut wrenched at your pain. I read your blog because its real. So incredibly real. We are not super close, but I think you are a truly amazing woman who inspires me.

Sarah said...

Hi Liz. I don't know you in real life. I don't know why some people try to put others in boxes; maybe in an attempt to make their own lives neater. Take care. Love, S

Rachel said...

I understand some of what you said, and have appreciated you alongside me, as our journeys started just a day apart. Thanks for sharing as a part of htis project.

Barbara A. said...

Liz, I do read your blog and your story has touched me deeply. You write from your heart, with truth and honesty.
I don't often comment, but have been reading for a long time.
Barbara

Kathryn said...

Liz, I have not met your person, but I have been reading your blog and keeping you and your family in my heart for a long time. I haven't suffered the loss of a child, but I have suffered a different loss which I have felt people don't want to hear about. Perhaps that is one of the many reasons your blog has spoken so much to me. This is my first time commenting, but I wanted you to know that there was another person out there, thinking of you, remembering Aquila, sharing in whatever way I can in your grief, and angry. Angry at Faith Beltz for missing what she should have known, angry at the midwife board, and angry at those who have turned a cold heart and mind to your story. I send you love and light and strength.

Fireflyforever said...

Liz, I'm sorry I missed this (and Gabe's contribution, which I will read next). I've been working through all of the posts in Angie's link - I must have skipped your name somehow. Sorry about that.

I've never told anyone IRL about my blog - I needed it to be a place where I could be ugly if I needed to be. I can't imagine having the emotions expressed there used against me. I'm sorry that has been your experience.

And you are absolutely right about grief being dirty, hard work. No spit and polish and hiding dust under hte carpet is going to work when you are grieving a tiny person who was robbed of life by mischance (in my case) or utter negligence in Aquila's case.

Ansia said...

I'm not even sure what to say. I stumbled on your blog just today and I am both saddened and humbled by your story. I don't know the loss of a child, but I am touched by grief and the loss of a husband. Its not the same, but grief is a monster that gets hold of you and does not let go. I too have had people around me expect me to be better after a set amount of time (and especially after I re-married) but grief does not work that way.
I am sad that you have had to deal with this pain and the judgement of it.

I will keep your family and Aquila in my prayers.