Tuesday, March 8, 2011

more ? seriously?

this morning, bright and early i went down to the hospital.The hospital i went to the week before Aquila was born. i had been having uterine irritability, 103 fever and Aquila's heart tones were in the 200's (yes you read that right- 200's)..Only Faith had given me Tylenol at home, which had lowered my fever and also put Aquila's heart tones back in the normal range...

this whole time, almost 15 months, i have assumed that that OB who i saw that day was slightly at fault. Fault for not getting more tests run or keeping me in the hospital that day..
because as you see here
fetal heartones over 180 are considered to be "Significant Fetal Tachycardia' and can be caused by two things:
1. Chorioamnionitis (especially if maternal fever) or
2. Fetal arrhythmia or congenital defect (FHR >200 bpm)

i had a fever of 103 and Aquila's heartones were 190-200+ .

but the Tylenol masked the symptoms, and according to the records i pulled today, Faith Beltz made no mention of the significant fetal tachycardia to the OB. So the OB , seeing normal heartones when i came in, assumed i was just sick with a virus...
But had Faith disclosed the 200+ hearttones, he would have most certainly insisted on the only treatment for Chorio- induction and IV antibiotics...

and Aquila would have been born a week earlier, alive.

20 comments:

Mary White said...

*hugs*

asplendidtime said...

:( Dh and I had wondered the same thing, why the Dr. didn't do more... I am so upset. Praying for you both.

(((((hugs)))))
~Rebecca

merda taurorum animas conturbit said...

I swear the list of blinding errors this woman made just goes on and on.

I don't know how she sleeps at night.

I'm so sorry love, more than words can adequately express.

Dea said...

Oh - that is awful - Liz, I'm so sorry you ever met this woman!

Sahmmie said...

Oh my goodness. How awful. Words just fail me. I'm so sorry.

staceyjw said...

every time I think it can't get worse, IT DOES. WHY would she neglect to mention the Tylenol? the heat tones? the fever? she is negligent beyond belief.

I don't know how you do it mama! HUGS!

Elena LaVictoire said...

She definitely botched it.

Don't be too quick to let the doctor entirely off of the hook yet. He should have asked some key questions like whether you had taken anything before coming in and if there had been a record of your temp and fetal heart tones. A little probing could have gone a long way.

You really should consider a civil suit.

Liz said...

let me clarify----in my records it WAS recorded that i had a 103 fever and had taken Tylenol..what was missing was the fetal tachycardia. that is what would have changed the diagnosis from you have some virus, poor you , go home and rest...to you have a serious infection that could/will kill your baby.

Anne said...

I agree - Elena.

asplendidtime said...

Liz, the feed on my blog says there is a new post as of yesterday, but I don't see it when I come here..? Is there a mistake?

I just hope I am not missing a post from you.

((((((hugs))))))
~Rebecca

Lareina said...

Wow... that is terrible... there are no words, just lots of hugs for you...

Liz said...

rebecca- it isn't a mistake. i delete the post shortly after writing it. i need more time to write it over, hopefully more in depth.

asplendidtime said...

Okay, thanks Liz.

Anne said...

I have been wondering about that, too. Thanks for the update.

Natalie said...

Not to minimise your pain or the bungle of screw ups that has taken place, but did you point out that you had taken Tylenol and that your babies heartrate was very high previous to taking this?

Liz said...

it was told to the Dr (by me and my midwife) that i had taken Tylenol and had 103 temp prior to the Tylenol. however i did not have any idea at the time time how serious hearts in the 200s are for a fetus--apparently neither did my midwife. and at the time she was the paid professional with me in the hospital , consulting with the doctor. she should have told them about the heart rates. she gave them my CBC, and discussed my dilation with them why did she not disclose the heart rates?

Anne said...

Liz,
Really ? Wow. Did the dr.strongly suggest that you should have stayed to be induced ? You think that the dr. would have known the danger that you and Aquila were in at the time. Perhaps Faith did not have the education - but- the MD - hmmm.

Areawoman said...

Ughhh. Disgraceful. Anyone who thinks that she (and all the others like her) have the proper training to provide care as a midwife are idiots.

Anonymous said...

My husband always says it is "practicing" medicine.

I have learned the hard way again and again, that I have to be proactive myself and make sure that I keep notes and such.

Love and Light to you Mama

smoore2213 said...

I am a paramedic, and I can attest that even with that level of training, any fetal heart tones over 180, especially in the presence of maternal symptoms such as fever, is highly suspicios of chorioamnionitis. Actually any sign of maternal infection at any point in a pregnancy is of concern.